Software development and information technology professional with twenty years of startup and enterprise experience.
Director of IT & Development, Verus Investments – Oct 2013 - Current
Responsible for technology direction, budget, technology staff, in-house software development, and data warehousing. This includes designing and developing applications to support internal risk analytics, client analytics, and supporting client dashboards. I manage and support our internal and external software technology stacks (Linux, Apache, Nginx, PostgreSQL, Ruby, Python, and Java.)
- Research management system Built a Ruby/Sinatra/PostgreSQL based tool for our research analysts to organize and manage content related to the delivery of quarterly and annual investment manager and investment related vehicle reporting.
- Client holdings universe Ruby/Sinatra web application to aggregate client holdings (flat-file data export with automated SFTP retrieval) and third-party manager data (XML data feed) to provide an analytics tool for in-house staff to assess investments on a firm wide basis using a PostgreSQL database warehouse.
- Client risk assessment reporting dashboard Ruby on Rails client portal used to securely deliver reports and dashboards to our clients and prospects.
- BarraOne data aggregation and client risk evaluation Ruby/Rake based system used to manage data aggregation and report metrics using MSCI/BarraOne’s SOAP/XML based API. System includes a web application to manage the scheduling and retrieval of 68 external reports and the application of all internal metrics for risk analyst evaluation.
Senior Web Developer, REI – Oct 2011 - Sept 2013
Responsible for architecture, delivery, and coaching developers in a fast paced Agile programming environment.
- Adobe Experience Manager (AEM)
- CQ5 Content Management System
- Complex JSP/JSTL Templating
- Responsive Web Design Techniques
- Agile Development (Scrum and Kanban)
Senior Web Developer, Ascentium Corporation – Sept 2010 - Sept 2011
- Microsoft Office for Business Campaign: My team and I delivered a highly interactive jQuery driven user experience to facilitate selling the benefits of Microsoft Office for medium to large business organizations. http://www.microsoft.com/office/business/
- Intel Software Partners Membership FAQ Working on an aggressive time line I built and tested an advanced FAQ page with multiple views using jQuery and some URL trickery to enable deep linking to dynamic content.
- Intel Software Partners Home Page I dove into an existing website under tight delivery constraints and added several pieces of jQuery powered flair to pump up user engagement with several pop ups, expanding sub menus, and tabbed navigational elements.
- Hit or Quit SXSW Mobile Web Application I built and deployed an advanced web application using the jQTouch mobile development framework to showcase and highlight active events during the SXSW interactive conference. Features included session check-in via Foursquare, zoom-able maps of the convention centers, event voting (hit it or quit it), and relevant twitter noise per session.
- T-Mobile Data Plans: Built new layout to focus on competitive new data plans and package information using HTML, CSS, and a splash of jQuery.
- Precor Website Redesign: Built a highly customized Drupal powered website complete with multiple language support, ecommerce, and content migration. http://precor.com
- AT&T My Mobility Toolkit: I extended an existing Etomite powered marketing portal to include expanded authentication options: email validation, expired account notices, inactivity notices, and multiple login locations. I also supported the expansion of content to the mobile and desktop versions of the website. http://mymobilitytoolkit.com
- Microsoft Consumer Cloud: Built down-level jQuery/HTML/CSS experience to match Silverlight campaign.
Senior Web Developer & Technology Director, Magnuson Hotels – Sept 2009 - August 2010
Responsible for development, migration, and integration of hotel data systems for the world’s largest independent hotel group using ASP.NET, MSSQL, PHP, and MySQL. Responsible for branded hotel website development and administration of IIS web servers.
- Call Center Tracking: I took it upon myself to create a call center tracking and performance system after observing our call center staff sharing an Excel spreadsheet to track customer calls.
- Windsurfer Reservation System: I evaluated and researched potential replacements for an older first generation reservation system for Magnuson Hotels which lead us to Houston based Windersurfer Labs. After extensive project planning, preparation, and data migration we updated the reservation system for over 700 hotels with minimal downtime and headache for our clients.
- UK Hotel Expansion: I worked with our UK based marketing department to build a UK centric sales portal for international customer acquisition. Built upon version 1.7 of the Code Igniter framework.
- Website Redesign: I started out doing a bit of freelance work to extend their sales contact form which turned into a full blown redesign and revamp of an antiquated .Net 2.0 website presence.
Senior Integration Developer, Neokinetics Corporation – Nov 2006 - May 2009
- Ebay Behavior-metric Pilot: I contributed to the building of a behavior-metric technology pilot program, delivered and assisted with the installation of the product on-site, and provided ongoing support for one of the largest user behavior tracking projects in order to improve buying and selling security.
- Raytheon Behavior-metric Pilot: I helped build out an advanced user-name and password based behavior-metric monitoring service for a classified pilot program run through our companies government sponsor Raytheon.
- Behavior-metric Demonstration Application: I built and deployed a user-name and text field monitoring service complete with self registration so potential clients could explore the concepts and features of behavior-metric monitoring in order to harden existing authentication systems.
Director of Information Technology, Tahoma Capital – Sept 2005 - Sept 2006
Responsible for management and deployment of all information technology systems including Windows Server 2003, Active Directory, Exchange, Cisco networking, Bloomberg terminals, VOIP phone system, and MySQL servers in order to support a 20 person 246 million dollar hedge fund.
Developer, Agent Science Technologies – June 2004 - Sept 2005
- Amber Alert Pilot: I built one of the first web based Amber Alert portals in PHP using the CAP XML standard for message consumption and generation. This pilot program was pitched to several government agencies.
Responsible for migrating significant portions of Amazon.com’s code base from a propriety in-house system to the open source Perl/Mason technology. I also managed seven developers directly for over a year as the development manager for the books, music, video, dvd, and magazines product team. I worked extensively with the search and browse team on improving customer experience, as well as the buying and on-site support team improving checkout and post order help systems.
- Detail Page Technology Migration: I last year and a half at Amazon was spent migrating detail page template and content technology from an antiquated C-based macro language to Perl/Mason.
- Holiday 2003 Code Controller: I spent an entire holiday season evaluating code and business requirements in order to insure maximum uptime during the holiday shopping season.
- Search and Browse Redesign: I spent my second year at Amazon working with the Search and Browse team improving the user experience developing and running numerous A/B tests in order to maximize how quickly we could get users to commit something to their cart.
- Detail Page: My first year at Amazon was spent cleaning and tightening up the various iterations of all the product detail page templates powering a massive catalog of disparate information.
North Idaho College, Computer Information Technology – 1995 - 1998 (no degree)
University of Idaho, History – 1994 (no degree)
7023 Autumn AVE SE
Snoqualmie WA, 98065